Tuesday 22 May 2012

We cope in different ways
As I looked down the lane I could see a woman pausing and her body language looked uncomfortable even at a distance.  I hardly thought about it for a few minutes because she scurried off onto another lane, which meant she wouldn't be walking directly past me.  I was busy looking at the lovely fresh green leaves on the trees, the sun was shining and I was lost in the moment.  I didn't pay attention to the lady I'd glanced at down the lane.  It was only when I turned round that I could see the lady higher up on the hill and on the other track.  I recognised her as an acquaintance of mine and as her eyes made contact I said hello.  She was hoping to get past without me seeing her.  She stopped walking and we broke into an obscure kind of conversation, more of a bit of banter than anything else.  Then she scurried off at pace.  

I experience this with people from time to time.  Poor woman, she felt uncomfortable, that was obvious.  A couple of years ago I may have felt offended but I think I understand.  I hope I understand.  She didn't know what to say to me or how to be with me.  One thing I have come to learn and understand during my experience with cancer is that I don't need to take someone's avoidance of me personally.  This woman was holding back the tears, just seeing me upset her.  She didn't know what to say to me.  What would I say to me?  I'd just be me, but that's me.  We are all different aren't we.  One thing I do know is this lady cares, she's not avoiding me because she doesn't like me.  That's her way of coping, I accept that.

You can't see the Heron very well, if at all on this photograph Alan took it on his phone as we walked down the lane,.. it was stood amongst the Daisy's and looked full of character with his back towards the water, which is unusual for a Heron!