Friday 2 March 2012

                                           It's difficult to stay indoors when Spring is in the air!
This is the spot on the edge of the Moors where I would sit in the car with Alan when I was on chemotherapy and couldn't go out because of the effects of cold air on my throat, hands and feet.  One of the side effects of one of the chemotherapy drugs was your throat feeling like it was closing up in cold air.  I used to avoid going in the fridge and would wear cotton gloves because touching anything cold made the pins and needle sensation worse.  I love this spot, especially at dusk, there is a silence that seems to sweep across the Moors, gentle and soothing as darkness falls.  It was a lovely day again today, there was a haze across the land, it looked like fog the higher up you went.  This photograph taken around 5.30pm, is of me looking up at the Moon with my binoculars.  The Moon looked amazing as one edge of it was glowing a soft amber colour from the sunset.
I saw the Doctor this morning to talk about the results of my Ultrasound scan last Friday.  The scan shows no real change, only the Ovarian cysts which weren't giving cause for concern.  My Kidney is still enlarged but there is no back up from the Kidney so no need for a stent just yet.  My G.P. asked if I wanted an appointment with a consultant at the hospital so I could have my Uterus checked out, but I said no, we'll wait and see how the next few weeks go with regards to discomfort and symptoms I've been experiencing.  We also made an appointment to get my bloods done on Monday.  I told her my fatigue levels had gone up, and that I have to take paracetamol during the night because my limbs are aching and keep me awake.  Once we get those results I hope to have more of an idea if the added fatigue and aching limbs are a progression of the disease, if I'm anemic or just taking longer to get over the last infection I had recently.  My Colon takes constant management and is a daily reminder of the need for early detection and diagnosis of this awful disease.  Sometimes it feels like my Colon is my life because my day revolves around dealing with it, even though I had the resection to remove the tumour problems persist and I can have awful discomfort where I had the surgery. 

I can't turn back the clock for my diagnosis but anyone reading this blog can keep an eye on their own bowel habits.  If your Bowel habits change and are not normal for you please don't hesitate to see your G.P. and arrange a check up.  Bowel cancer is very easy to treat in the early stages of the disease, cancerous polyps can be removed during a Colonoscopy procedure.  Please, if in doubt get checked out.


Thank you for all the messages on Judith McGuinness Cancer support through collective thinking.  I appreciate them all and wish you a happy weekend.