Sunday 26 February 2012

A bit more energy today
Thank you for your messages on Judith McGuinness cancer support through collective thinking facebook page.  I was thinking today about how many special people I have come across in my life, especially during these past two years.  Most of my friends I've never met face to face because they are spread across the globe, yet I have experienced bonds with you that I hold close to my heart.  Thank you.  When I lived in Dubai for almost a decade I made many friends, and have happy memories of the special times we spent together.  I received some beautiful jewelry from a friend who I've never met this week, yet I've known her over the internet for at least 10 years.  I was amazed that she should send the gifts which where so thoughtfully put together.  The world is a small place these days.  I have some special relationships at a distance, and those I've developed over the past decade, and those of you I've known for many years, you are all there.  Thank you.

When I wake up each day I usually feel a bit worse, or the same as when I went to bed.  It's been a number of years since sleep refreshed me.  Cancer fatigue is hard to figure out and work with, it takes time.  As the fatigue has increased I'm having to learn new ways to cope and deal with it.  As I lay in bed this morning I wondered how I should go about washing and drying my hair.  I'd felt quite exhausted yesterday and spent all afternoon and early evening in bed.  This morning I didn't feel much different but I got up around 10.30 and headed for the shower.  I felt the same exhaustion and aching limbs as I did yesterday so I sat down for a break before drying my hair.  I was relived to find I started to feel a bit more energy as the morning passed, and by 2pm I found myself dressed and ready to go with Alan to pick up my Granddaughter Ella for her riding lesson, which we take her to every Sunday afternoon.  I just had enough energy to go and I didn't want to give it up because it had taken quite a bit of effort to get ready, so even though someone else in the family offered to take her I went.  It's my pleasure to watch her have her lesson, and it's my time to bond with her every Sunday.  I treasure being able to do that with her.  When we got back from the lesson I was also able to manage a 20 minute walk which pleased me a lot, being in the countryside and seeing the horizon again was a tonic.  The tonic that works the best for me.  So, thankfully, I've been able to function which is good.  The only way to describe how I feel is a mixture between having flu and the onset of an infection.  It's very similar to when I developed the Breast infection I had three weeks ago. 

After my walk I was in the house and I could hear the loud sound of Scottish Bagpipes echoing around the stone buildings outside,.. we went out and there was a piper with my Sister Gill walking closely behind him with flowers in her hand.  How amazing it was!  There he was playing Scottish tunes to me at my own front door, and he was in full dress!  Thank you Gill, and for the flowers, tea, cake and ice-cream, you are very, very thoughtful, you spoil me and I love it!


I may be able to get a video clip of the Piper if you check back in later!